Undertaking a thermographic survey can be one of the easiest and cost effective ways to generate BREEAM credits. Thermographic surveys are now a feature of BREEAM the environmental assessment method and rating system for commercial and domestic buildings. We always work proactively with clients to ensure a successful outcome.
BREEAM New Construction and BREEAM 2012 Domestic Refurbishment award credits for thermography surveys carried out by a Level 2 certified thermography engineer. The way each scheme works with respect to awarding points for thermography is slightly different. The very latest BREEAM 2014 UK New Construction scheme provides BREEAM credits for thermographic surveys but is in a slightly different way. A quick summary is below:
This new BREEAM technical guide describes an environmental performance standard against which new, non-domestic buildings in the UK can be assessed, rated and certified. You can gain 1 BREEAM credit for a BREEAM thermographic survey in London. Within Man 01 – Sustainable Procurement, it states the following:
- The main contractor accounts for a thermographic survey within the project budget and programme of works.
- Once construction is complete a thermographic survey of the building fabric is undertaken in accordance with the appropriate standard and by a professional holding a minimum Level 2 certificate in thermography.
- The survey confirms:
- Continuity of insulation in accordance with the construction drawings
- Avoidance of excessive thermal bridging
- Avoidance of air leakage paths through the fabric (except through intentional openings)
- Any defects identified via the post construction inspections are rectified
We use the latest high resolution thermal imaging cameras to undertake our Thermographic Surveys throughout London and the Southeast. Thermal imaging is one the quickest and easiest ways to undertake fault diagnosis on your buildings, as thermography can quickly and accurately identify building faults and a easy to follow report, so the defects can be quickly indented and rectified by the contractors.
The benefits of thermographic inspections are well documented and when it’s used in conjunction with air tightness testing it can be a very power combination – especially when its used on commercial buildings.
If you have any queries in regards to the above please don’t hesitate to give us a call on: 0775623464. We pride ourselves on offering a proactive service from start to finish. We have extensive experience of assessing thermal performance on many types of buildings from small dwellings right up to the largest commercial buildings such as schools and apartment blocks.