Sound Testing Levels Required to Achieve Part E Compliance

We often get asked ‘what levels do we need to achieve to pass the sound testing requirements of Part E of Building Regulations’

To help you better understand the sound level requirements of Part E: The method for measuring airborne sound insulation – as shown in BS EN ISO 140-4:1998 and the method for measuring impact sound insulation as given in BS EN ISO 140-7:1998, we have collated an easy to follow table – shown below.


The adopted standard for Approved Document E (ADE) of the Building Regulations (England and Wales), which came into force in 1st July 2003 stipulates:

“In the Secretary of State’s view the normal way of satisfying Requirements E1 will be to build separating walls, separating floors and stairs that have a separating function, together with associated flanking construction, in such a way that they achieve the sound insulation values for dwelling-houses and flats set out in Table 1a, and the values for rooms for residential purposes set out in Table 1b.”

Basically, for new build properties you need to achieve 45dB or higher for airborne wall and floor sound tests and 62dB for Impact Sound Testing.

For Converted properties the levels are slightly easier to achieve with 43dB for airborne wall and floor sound testing and 64dB for impact sound testing.

If you would like more information in regards to sound testing please contact us at or call us on 01525 303905.