Thermal imaging surveys are important for BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) for several reasons other than attaining credits, they help to:
- Verify Thermal Performance: BREEAM environmental assessment method calls for thermal imaging surveys of the building fabric to verify that the thermal performance of a building is as designed.
- Identify Energy Loss: Thermal imaging can identify areas of energy loss through the building fabric, which is crucial for reducing the environmental impact of construction and ongoing usage of the building.
- Attain BREEAM Credits: Thermal imaging surveys can provide one BREEAM credit towards your building, which can improve your BREEAM rating.
- Resolve Heat Loss Issues: Thermal imaging surveys can quickly and conclusively resolve heat loss issues, which is crucial for the ongoing energy efficiency of the building.
- Compliance with Building Regulations: Thermal imaging is the best way to assess continuity of insulation or locate air leakage paths in a completed building. This helps project teams comply with the Building Regulations, specifically Part L4 and achieve building control signoff.
The Minimum Requirements for BREEAM Thermal Surveys
BREEAM Thermal imaging surveys should be conducted by certified inspectors to ensure accuracy and compliance. For BREEAM thermographic surveys, a minimum of Level 2/Category 2 certification in accordance with ISO 18436-7 is required. This certification requires approved training, stringent examination, and a minimum of 1200 hours of hands-on experience.
It’s worth noting that Level 1 thermographer is not permitted under ISO 18436-7 to conduct surveys unless working under the direction of a Level 2 thermographer. As of 6th June 2014, the PCN (Civil) Level 2 and ABBE Level 4 Building Thermographer qualifications are also recognised by the UKTA as suitable for BREEAM thermographic surveys. It’s always best to check with your specific BREEAM assessor to check they are happy with your thermographer’s qualifications.
Why choose APT for your thermal imaging survey?
We provide a professional service which surpasses the specification required by BREEAM. Our thermographers are Level 3 certified, which is the highest accreditation available.
It’ worth noting that our air tightness and thermal imaging services include the following:
- UKAS accredited and ATTMA Level 2 certified.
- The latest powerful modular blower door systems.
- UKAS calibrated equipment.
- Level 3 thermographic certification
- Large format FLIR cameras
- A detailed report which includes thermal indexing formula for fault diagnosis, qualification, and severity grading.
To discuss options and arrange for one of our thermographic surveyors to visit, you site please call Darren on 07775623464 to arrange an appointment; or, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively please visit our website at: www.aptsoundtesting.co.uk