What is Sound Testing?

You are required to undertake sound testing to assess the sound insulation performance of party walls and floors between dwellings. Sound testing is usually required once the property is nearing completion and is carried out to determine if the minimum Building Regulation Part E for sound insulation has been met.

The contractor is responsible for arranging the sound testing to demonstrate compliance to Building Control that the dividing partitions have achieved compliance with Approved Document E for sound insulation. The aforementioned procedure is more commonly referred to as Approved Document E (ADE) sound testing or pre-completion testing (PCT).

Approved Document E – ‘Resistance to the passage of sound’ came into force on July 1st 2003 and provided the minimum sound insulation values for new and converted dwellings. This includes the following building types: flats, houses, student accommodation, care homes, hotels and schools.

Approved Document E is a government-issued document which provides guidance for building contractors, architects and developers involved in the design and conversion of buildings for residential purposes. Approved Document E explains the sound insulation requirement for each type of building and provides acoustic advice and details about building procedures and materials that may affect the sound test results.