Why Do I Need to Carry Out Sound Testing?

Part E of Building Regulations require that builders demonstrate the sound insulation performance of separating walls/floors in new-build dwellings or rooms for residential purposes (as well as those newly formed by a material change of use.

This applies to when separate buildings are attached via a common partition not exclusively used by the same occupants. The only way to the relevant compliance with building regulations is to undertake sound insulation testing.

The regulations set minimum performance requirements for sound insulation between spaces, as to provide reasonable conditions for living. Performance can be demonstrated either by sound testing a sample of as-built constructions/properties or by registering to use Robust Details.

Sound insulation testing may also be required in non-residential buildings such as schools, hospitals, workplaces, where as-built performance needs to be demonstrated to ensure noise sensitive areas (e.g. classrooms, wards, meeting rooms) are suitably insulated from noisier areas or to comply with BB93 & BREEAM.

If you would like more information in regards to sound testing please contact us at info@aptsoundtesting.co.uk or call us on 01525 303905.