We often get asked by clients ‘why do we need to undertake sound testing’ and ‘how much of a difference does noise really make’. This can be answered in one word – Huge!
One simple measure of noise pollution is the danger it poses to general health. Noise can cause stress, and stress is a leading cause of illness and fatigue. Therefore any form of excess noise can be considered pollution, if it causes annoyance, sleeplessness, fright, or any other stress reaction.
Here is a list of the typical noise events we encounter during our daily lives and the corresponding noise levels:
- 0dB Threshold of Audibility – Rustle of leaves
- 30dB Quiet conversation or in a quiet location in the country
- 45dB Typical office space. Ambience in the city at night
- 50dB Background noise in an office
- 60dB The sound of an average radio
- 70dB The sound of a car passing on the street
- 80dB An intercity train from a station platform/loud music in a home
- 90dB Pneumatic drill at 3 metes / sound of a truck passing on the street
- 100dB Jet plane taking off at 50 metes /sound of a rock band
- 115dB Limit of sound permitted in industry / Screaming baby
- 120dB Deafening
- 60-130 dB Dog Barking
- 140dB Threshold of pain
Noise is transient; once the pollution stops the environment is free of it. To many people the roar of an engine is satisfying or thrilling; to others it is an annoyance. Loud music may be enjoyable or a torment, depending on the listener and the circumstances. Broadly speaking, any form of unwelcome sound is noise pollution, whether it is the roar of a jet plane overhead the sound of cars on the street or the sound of a barking dog a block away.
By improving sound insulation on your home the noise levels from your neighbours TV, Stereo and barking dog Can be greatly reduced, this in turn can reduce stress and fatigue. Taking this into account, sound testing is more important now than ever.
If you would like more information in regards to sound testing please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01525 303905.