Since Building Regulations Part E was introduced, we have literally undertaken thousands of sound insulation tests in London and the South East; and as such we have built up considerable knowledge of typical sound flanking pathways.
To help consultants and contractors we have comprised a list of the main Sound Flanking Pathways identified during Sound Testing.
- Dividing Floor Partitions – Through Floor and Floor Joist Space (if insulation has not been installed or direct fixing to joists without a drop ceiling below the partition under test)
- Dividing Ceiling Partitions – Above and Through the Ceiling Space (where an adequate acoustic break has not been carried on through the ceiling void)
- Shared Structural Building Components – Floor Boards, Floor Joists, Continuous Drywall Partitions, Continuous
- Concrete Floors, and Cement Block Walls.
- Through Structural Steel (structural steel beams are often a major cause of noise transmission as plasterboard is often fixed directly to the steel without sound breaks)
- Plumbing Chases – Junctures between the Walls & Floor Slab Above or at the Exterior Wall Juncture (this should be filed with mortar etc. to add mass to this weakened areas.
- Through Windows (if they are no double glazed or have secondary glazing as a minimum)
- Fixtures & Outlets – Light Switches, Telephone Outlets, and Recessed Lighting Fixtures (if penetrations have been cut back to back with the opposite dwelling under test)
- Structural Joints – Perimeter Joints at Wall & Floor, Through Wall & Ceiling Junctures (these should be filled with acoustic mastic.
- Around the End of the Partition Through the Adjacent Wall (acoustic mastic should be used to seal this junction)
APT Sound Testing offer a ‘one stop’ design package for all types of acoustic design and sound testing in London, whether it’s accomplished during initial construction or during a refurbishment/renovation project.
We provide full UKAS accredited air and sound insulation testing in London, so our clients can be sure that all testing is completed to a strict ISO quality controlled standard. Our engineers use the latest UKAS Calibrated Class 1 Acoustic Testing Equipment.
To help you prepare your site for sound insulation testing, please download our sound test checklist
If you would like more information on our testing services, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at www.aptsoundtesting.co.uk